[T3] broken horn ring and a cool weather idle hunt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 23 14:03:58 PDT 2016

On 23 Oct 2016 at 13:40, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> 1) Yesterday, a vigorous application of the horn when a driver
> abruptly cut us off on the highway snapped the horn ring. Does anyone
> know if the part # for a Type 3 horn ring is the same as Type 1? Or
> does anyone have a good untarnished Type 3 horn ring they want to
> sell?

The horn rings up thru about '69 were shiny chrome, while those from
about '70-on had a matte chrome finish. The early ones are NLA unless
you find a good used one. Both are expensive. I believe the generic
replacements you find out there will work on your '69, but I'm not
sure about that, because there were horn detail changes starting in
'71. If you find one sold to work up thru '70, it will almost
certainly work, but it will have the matte finish.

> 2) We have a hunt at cold idle when the temps drop below 60* or so. It
> begins a few minutes after driving off from a cold start. After 5-15
> minutes (shorter when warmer, longer when cooler) the idle goes back
> to normal. The car drives just fine, but the hunt is aggravating,
> especially in the AM commute. On warmer (60*+) mornings thereTMs no
> hunt at all, so the issue is clearly external temp related.
>
> General info: I haven´t touched the AAR which is the same one I´ve
> been using since installing the motor over the winter and there was no
> cold idle issue. Idle speed, dwell, timing, and valves are all fine.
> There are no idle issues once the motor is warm. The intake runners
> are tightened down, the runner boots are in good condition, and the
> vacuum lines are all less than a year old and snug. ?anTMt find any vac
> leaks.

Unless you're experiencing the extreme "loping" idle, where the idle
speed runs up and down between ~600 and ~1500 rpm, about every 2
seconds, I suspect there's nothing unusual going on here. These cars
don't have anywhere close to the same degree of idle stabilization
that modern cars have.

If you're experiencing loping, as above, this probably means that
your (warm) idle speed is set a bit too high. In that case, turn your
warm idle speed down a bit, maybe 50-100 rpm.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org