[T3] NAPA fuel filter FIL 3001

Christopher Slaymaker slayskridge at me.com
Sun Oct 30 07:11:13 PDT 2016

I trusted NAPA to source a correct fuel filter for me.

Wrong.

I think I lost about a quart of fuel figuring this out.  The nipple size is too small.

I’m trying to find a suitable replacement, but am drawing a blank.

I have an OE filter on there now that a friend sold me from his stash of original parts - he has an ACVW shop that he has been operating for decades.

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with missing at speed/under load and thought the fuel filter might be suspect since it’s been on there a few years (several thousand miles as my squareback is my daily driver).

I have tracked down as many other possible problems as well, and I believe I have all the FI connectors continuous. The harness ends are brittle as hell.

I have not tested the temp sensor impedances at operating temperature yet.

The charging system is maintaining correct voltage.  Fuel pressure is 29.5 - what am I missing?

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia “Lurch”
1971 Squareback “Lurch”

"…at least I’m enjoying the ride."