[T3] broken horn ring and a cool weather idle hunt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 23 16:04:50 PDT 2016

On 23 Oct 2016 at 17:59, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Our horn ring is definitely matte, so based on what you´re saying most
> of the replacements out there will likely work. Is a busted horn ring
> a common thing? Just curious.

Sounds like I may be mistaken about when the shiny to matte switch
occurred, or perhaps your current horn ring is also a replacement.
Not too common for these to get broken. Must be one of those NYC road
rage things.  ;-)

> Also, Jim, we spoke months ago back in Madison about our rusty battery
> tray. I finally sprayed some LPS 3 on it and the battery mat. It gave
> off a strong smell for about a week and then calmed down. Then, I
> needed the heat the other day and it stank like mad for about an hour
> so before going away. Or else it burnt up part of my brain and I canTMt
> smell it anymore. Either way, should I have any long term concerns
> about  LPS 3 in the vicinity of the heater bellows/tubes underneath
> the back seat?

Sorry, I should have warned you about the smell. I don't mind it so
much, but that may be because I've grown used to it over the years.
LPS-3 has a slow evaporating solvent that allows it to soak into
crevices and rust. The more concealed the LPS is, like soaked into a
mat under the battery, the longer it will take to get out. That's
actually good, because those are the places where you hope it will
continue to penetrate: into the little nooks and crevices where rust
lives and propagates. The smell will go away over time, but heating
things up will release remaining solvent in the warmed areas.
Depending on how much LPS-3 you used, I think this will all be just a
memory in a few weeks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org