[T3] Vacuum Advance Restrictor?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Sep 12 07:59:51 PDT 2016

On 9 Sep 2016 at 22:11, S UNSWORTH wrote:

> Please can anyone tell me the VW Part Number of the Restrictor that
> fits into one of the Vacuum Advance / Retard Hoses for my 1972 1600
> Twin Carburettor Variant with Automatic Transmission ?

I didn't have any idea of what this might be until I thought of the
vacuum relay/switch that 1972 FI cars came with. Those cars came with
an electrically operated  device in the vacuum advance line that
allowed vacuum to get to the vacuum advance can only in the highest
gear. Perhaps the dual carb engines got the same thing.

I haven't been able to figure out where to find this device in the
parts list, so I can't give you a part number, but if this is what
you're asking about, I think I have one if you need it.. Frankly,
I've found that the cars run just fine with this device bypassed;
that enables the vac advance in all gears, but, at least on the FI
cars, there's never any vacuum in that hose except while crusing (med
throttle, med load.) This can happen in the lower gears, but it's
unusual, and a little extra advance then doesn't hurt anything.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org