[T3] Fan Housing

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Sep 24 23:41:18 PDT 2016

On 25 Sep 2016 at 4:54, Know One wrote:

> Is there a reason that the fan housing wasn't painted by VW, other than cost?
>
> I've started media blasting my fan housing today and the coloration is inconsistent.
>
> While it would look good painted, is there a reason it shouldn't?
>
> And, if painted, should it be painted black for heat dissipation?
>
> I know I have seen ones painted silverish.

When they were new, they had a bit of a sheen to them that was some
sort of oxide from the casting process, but that disappeared over
time and corrosion takes over. When you blast off the corrosion, you
also blast off any of that original coating. I don't know why it's
inconsistent now, but there's no harm in painting it any color you
like.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org