[T3] Thoughts on overheating

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Sep 30 08:05:54 PDT 2016

On 27 Sep 2016 at 21:29, Phil Hof wrote:

> The sending unit is in the line between the galley (right after the
> pump) and the filter.  Seeking to protect it from debris, I located it
> inboard of the left HE.  But this puts it in the flow of exiting
> cooling air from the 3-4 head and cylinders.  I hadn´t really worried
> about it, but I think this is the problem.

Years ago, someone made and marketed a combination oil pump and
filter base which extended straight left and held the filter in that
hot airflow. Those units were an abismal failure, as they heated up
the oil. Sounds like you're seeing a similar problem.

As Keith and Daniel pointed out, you need to verify the calibration
of your gauge at boiling water temp, keeping in mind your altitude
and the effect that has on the boiling point. Then you should try to
install your gauge in a better place. In my opinion, the very best
place to install an oil temp gauge would be in the port on top of the
oil cooler, such that the sensor stuck down INTO the body of the
gauge, so that it sensed the temp of FLOWING oil on its way out of
the cooler.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org