[T3] Type 3 Reversing Lights

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 16:11:16 PDT 2017

Oh dear - I'm sorry to confess (unusually) I've done what others have done
before me. I missed that detail this time. Apologies.

Actually, I was referring to the '70-on with the bigger tail-lights.  I
can't recall if our 1500S had back-up lights, but they would have had to be
stand-alone, until the larger tail-lights came in. It really is true that
the basic '70 on in many cases did not come with bulb holders in the
reversing light housing.  I recall letters to VW (Safer) Motoring
complsining, and an article on how to put reversing lights in.  If I had
many hours spare I could no doubt trawl through the back numbers and find
the article.  Whether some dealers fitted them, or owners had them
retro-fitted I couldn't say.  The passenger sunvisor wasn't includsd in the
basic spec in later brochures, but I can't recall seeing any which only had
the one.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club