[T3] Type 3 Reversing Lights

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 14:44:57 PDT 2017

Sorry, Jim, it was just a Typo - 1600A is my '71 dual carb, as you recalled
correctly.

The Bad weather package is Z01.  I would think the intermittent wiper
addition was part of that package. I've dug out the original order form, and
looking at it, only the fog-lights and intermittent relay are not listed
separately. Differences from mine were bright vent-wing frames, fresh-air
fan, lockable glove box, inertia-reel front belts, waist trim and higher
spec interior trim, like map pockets, separate rearside arm-rests, rear
ash-trays both sides, proper vinyl covered rear linings (mine are just cut
out from vinyl-coated masonite), front trunk lined on air-box and inner
fenders. These differences seem to be standard on the L-trim spec. I'm
surprised that fog-lights and the intermittent wiper circuitry would add
almost 200 Deutsche Marks to the price, when the mudflaps are only 26DM
extra.

Other options were 020 (mph speedo), 074 (mudflaps), 102 (HRW), 172 (Steel
radials), 258 (fixed headrests front - ie high-backs!).

Built 6 Feb 1973, delivered to Tolke & Fischer Wholesalers, Krefeld on 8
Feb.
It was purchased by a serviceman at Bielefeld through the British Forces
Germany (BFG) private purchasing scheme, which allowed reductions on import
duty and taxes when bringing it back into the country after the posting (2
years I think was the qualifying period of foreign ownership.

I've transcribed the order form, but I'll scan what I have and send it to
you FYI, Jim:-

1600L Variant  alaska met  54PS Motor  Price DM 8.072,07
 RHD    MPH
Upholstery Cloth Colour:  black
Extras:
Metallic finish  DM 157,66
Wet weather packet  DM 198,20
Heated rear window  DM 64.86
Radial ply tyres (steel)  DM 157,66
Fixed headrests front  DM 48,65
Mud flaps rear  DM 26,13

Delivery  DM 55,00

Total 8.780,23

The upholstery was in excellent condition, but being centre-rail, there was
no temptation to put it into my 1600A Variant.

Yes, the UK spec with amber rear flasher lenses all have clear reversing
light sections, even if there are no bulb-holders.

I'm really regretting the subframe was already showing serious rust when I
got it, and that the tax in the UK for historic vehicles stopped at first
registration before Jan '73, which meant there wasn't the incentive to
restore it at the time.  We did find certain things missing as we recycled
it, but nothing major.  Still, the gearbox should be good as it was replaced
about 25,000 miles ago when something broke internally.  The car had only
done around 65,000 miles.  The engine does turn, but obviously I've not
moved it more than a fraction just to check.

The other thing that surprised me when we took off the rear body, there was
sticky D10 mastic (or whatever its code is - the stuff used between the
front fenders and body to seal), and no sign of a floorpan gasket.  Is that
normal? I've not noticed it before.