[T3] Phill from Samba sent a link to a few photo's of the AAR

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 1 15:02:46 PDT 2017

On 1 Aug 2017 at 10:48, William J wrote:

> I posted on Samba where I got the photo's and Ray Greenwood chimed in and
> said not to use ATF because it's an oil and if it gets down to the heating
> element being an oil it will carbonize and cause the heating element to fail
> over time.

Sounds reasonable. I don't know how hot the heater gets, but it's probably a
good idea to keep oil out of it if possible. That said, my guess is that the
years of breathing oil mist have probably already filled the heater chamber
with oil.

IF the oil is clean, and IF the heater doesn't get too hot, that oil bath is
probably not a bad thing, but I agree that caution is appropriate.

I'd like to know how full of oil all these are by now.

> Keep the AAR as upside down as possible and soak the top rotary valve
> section ...ONLY....in something like Berrymans B-12 chemtool.
>
> Even if you get chemtool or carb cleaner down inside on the coil.....it will
> largely evaporate and the coil will be fine. Ray"

I don't know what's in those cleaners, so I don't have an opinion on what
might work best.

>  I was going to hang the unit upside down so the fluid just goes into the
> nipple that has the hose to the IAD and no deeper then drain the fluid out
> and still upside down maybe use brake clean to flush the fluid out or should
> I just get acetone and hang it in that and let it evaporate then blow it
> out?

If you use something that will fully evaporate, as Ray says, there should be
no problem filling up the AAR with it. If you use ATF (with or without
acetone) you could probably fully immerse it, as long as it is upside down.

If you immerse it unside down, you should also drain it upside down.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org