[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turn thekey several times to prime the system .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 3 21:44:59 PDT 2017

Jim :
I realize you have much more experience than I on these FI systems I have
only worked on and drove the one I have .

What's confusing to me is how I never had one issue with starting my car
even if I drove it to work 7 miles one way in 100 degree heat let it sit
many times for 14 hours since I started at 7 and didn't leave until
sometimes 10pm and it fired right up every time without fail , just one turn
of the key and it was running and stayed running. This was even before I
rebuilt the engine in 97 and after. Why would VW make a system that would
force the heated fuel back from the lines through the pump leaving you with
just vapors. Mine never had any sort of covering over the fuel lines. What's
the point of the check valve if it does not stop the fuel from going back
through the pump. Some replace the pump with a 2 port pump from 85 to
whatever foord rangers and need to prime the system I suppose because they
have no check valve .

 Somewhere I  saw a photo of the newer three port bosch pump as mine is all
3 ports on the same end and I can't find it , I think the check valve has a
small spring under the cover and the check valve if I recall is part of an
internal passage from the discharge port and the return port . Does the
valve just regulate how much fuel is feed to the engine as in to reduce
pressure on the pump so it does not work so hard?

 I never has the other issue I've read people talking about on samba when if
you drive till hot then park for an hour or so the engine runs a bit rough
because the head temp sensor banks heat and needs to cool down .

  Perhaps it's the unleaded ethanol  diluted fuel we have now yet we've had
this garbage well before I had this issue the fuel didn't have quite the
amount ethanol in 2006 or 2009 .

 Just one more bit . When I got this car in 85 it had a pressure sensor with
the proper VW # according to Russ a chart he had , at that time I bought a
trashed 72 Cailf auto trans car and stripped it and since it had a new
pressure sensor I had one zip tied to the other so I could swap the plug
because I could not pass smog and a new part seemed better than old . It was
not even close to the same VW # yet both only had the one screw not like the
early ones with 2 adjustments and with either the car ran perfect and had
the same smog results on our shops dyno. It failed the idle test by a hair.
I never looked at the numbers just that they looked exatly the same in every
way. IN Calif we had leaded fuel until mid 91 the unleaded then the ethanol
crap and the summer and winter blend gas. Guess summer has more oxygen
something like that.who knows what they put in the gas or how they do it top
secrete stuff man.