[T3] Engine Idle very low, once warmed up

jaredkohler at gmail.com jaredkohler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:11:08 PDT 2017

First, ALL of your replies are incredibly helpful. You're truly Type 3
Wizards and I'm very grateful and appreciate you taking the time to help me.

My auto trans AAR was not working as we all suspected. I began the
diagnosis after starting the engine (cold in AM) and allowing to idle for a
few minutes. I then pulled the hose from the AAR to the oil bath and
plugged it with my finger. Engine immediately died. This scenario continued
the longer the engine idled and the more warmed up the engine seemed to
get. So, I knew the AAR wasn't functioning as it should. Or did it not have
power?

I then checked my AAR power source which I had made during my FI
installation. It had juice. Strike 2! At this point, I'm betting, just as
you stated, the AAR is either stuck or has kicked the bucket.

Now, I turned to my parts bin and the mechanical (Manual car) AAR I had. I
figure, my Fastback is a manual car, why the heck do I have an Auto AAR?
This should have been my thinking during my FI installation. Strike 3! But,
we all learn from our mistakes. So, I began the process of removing the
Auto AAR and installing the Manual AAR.

Now with the Manual AAR installed, the engine would continue to idle with
the oil bath hose plugged with my finger, although very low. While the
engine was nice and warm, I adjusted the idle set screw (with lock nut) a
half turn. Wow! Now, I had an idle my ear and memory were happy with.
Still, I know I should get a Tach or an automotive multimeter to truly dial
it in. On my list and will purchase. I'll revisit the engine's true idle
rpm once bought.

Long story a little shorter and several test drives later, my Fastback no
longer has low idle as I idle at stop signs and stop lights! Wow, what a
difference! Yet, once I shut off the engine, shop at Home Depot, return,
start the engine, I get a 30 second (yes, I timed it) rough idle until the
AAR begins to warm and begin it's function. Once the AAR comes alive, the
idle speeds up, smooths out, and away I go without any dip in performance
throughout my travels home.

Leaps a bounds better than what I had been dealing with and a simpler
solution than I thought. Thank you all for steering me in the right
directions!

I'll keep you posted as I continue to fiddle and perfect.

Jared
Goleta, CA