[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turnthekey several times to prime the system .

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 5 11:53:50 PDT 2017

On 4 Aug 2017 at 13:21, William J wrote:

> > Jim: wanted to add . yes my rubber hose from the fuel filler to the tank
> > is cracked . it's a
> > Calif car built 11/12/73 so it's a very late model 73 so I can't say what
> > they added and it had the EGR which I removed along with it's relay . If
> > you can let me know the price of your kit I will do this. It just does
> > seems to have many more hoses than any T-3 venting system I have seen in
> > posts.

Yes, that's a VERY late Type 3. I had no idea that VW kept them going that
long, except in Austrailia, where they continued to assemble '74s.

For your '73, I sell a pair of kits to repair the overflow hose and the vent
system for $30, including shipping. The vent kit replaces the expansion tank
and the charcoal cannister and puts the car back to the '69 vent system,
which was the only practical thing I could do. It's VERY unlikely that your OE
vent system is still operational. Most of those steel lines have been plugged
with rust by now.

Yes, the '73 Calif. cars have more hoses, etc. than any other version. I have
one of those sitting in my driveway, also with the EGR disabled.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org