[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turn thekey severa...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Aug 6 19:23:49 PDT 2017

In a message dated 8/5/2017 12:30:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 4 Aug  2017 at 11:26, William J wrote:
>  what I still can't get past is  why I never had this hot fuel soak and
vapor
> and never needed to  cycle the key before.

I don't know. It could be that your check valve  has started to leak, or it
could
be that you have other small hose leaks,  or it could be that you have an
injector with a tiny leak, or it could  simply be a small change in the
fuel that
has lowered its boiling point.  There's very little elasticity in the fuel
ring,
especially once the hoses  get old and hard, so it probably only takes
about 1
cc of fuel leaking out  to drop the pressure to zero.
Is it just me, or is thinking that a 44 year old car should start as
easily as a new car and run as smooth as 1 using 44+ year old technology some
kind of wishful thinking?
I realize we tune on these cars to get them to run their best, but we  also
acknowledge their short comings and just learn to live with them (they are
40+ years old after all).
As parts age (even after 32 years with the same owner) they slowly  fall
out of spec, and either need to be adjusted, or the operator needs to  adjust
to it.

That said, I've got a 71 Square sitting here, that has a push button to run
the starter as the  ignition switch has gone bad (electrical portion). The
ignition switch does  however run the fuel pump (yes, it's injected), but
needs to be cycled a few  times to get pressure up so it'll fire up and run.
It's a complicated thing to  deal with, but then after 46 years, parts do
wear out (it's got a new starter on  it), but also a rats nest of added wires
(Keith were you working under this  car?) going to different parts of the
engine and other places.  One of  these days, I'll get some free time to sort
thru it. I should also add that I've  got a gen light on too, but I've also
got a new VR sitting here to install. But,  I might need to get a copy of
Jim's charging FAQ, just to make sure everything  is up to snuff (if you'll
send me a copy Jim). I'm trying to bring this beast  back from sitting outside
in "storage" for the last 13 or so years (it  was at the 2002 Type 3
Invasion).

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS