[T3] Breather cap

Phil Ostronic phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Aug 23 12:39:16 PDT 2017

My guess is that it started with the timing slip caused by the point gap changing, perhaps due to wear of the fiber rider, or perhaps it just slipped.

Next, as a result of bad timing you had a backfire or miss that sent a pressure pulse back through the intake, which vented by popping the cap off.  Then of course normal driving will eventually splat oil through there, perhaps more with the oil thinner from higher heat from poor ignition timing.

Someone long ago put my cap on and excluded the spring.  On my old Squareback it used to pop off with the spring, but back then you could get a good new part from the dealer.  My current Fastback locks the spring, and has never popped off.  I suppose it’s relying on the weight of the washer underneath to partially close off the venting, which seal better with the spring.  So far no ill effects from leaving it out.

The starter probably had nothing to do with it.  The heat soak from long freeway trips will often get them to a higher temp than normal, which can bring on an incipient failure.

-Phil