[T3] Breather cap

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 23 13:16:49 PDT 2017

On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:39, Phil Ostronic wrote:

> On my old Squareback it used to pop off with the spring, but back then
> you could get a good new part from the dealer. My current Fastback
> locks the spring, and has never popped off.

The spring only came starting in '70 or '71. Before that, there was a plastic
"sponge" that was supposed to coalese the oil mist and drip it back into the
crankcase, but those often filled with frost in cold weather and got tossed
out. I have one of those on the shelf, but haven't seen one on a car since the
early '70s, when someone at the dealership threw mine away.

I have SST springs which I've made to keep that washer from rattling
around. I probably have some NOS and used ones, too.

> The heat soak from long freeway trips will often get them to a higher
> temp than normal, which can bring on an incipient failure.

Sounds like a good theory.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org