[T3] 71 squareback fi problem/question

Birtalan, Victor VBirtalan at FTI-NET.COM
Fri Aug 25 12:58:06 PDT 2017

Hello/all:  feedback on my 71 squareback fuel problem.  the root cause of the symptoms that I had described is

due to worn brushes in the fuel pump.  thanks to all for the response.   Vic

?

________________________________
From: Birtalan, Victor
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 4:57 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: 71 squareback fi problem/question

Hello, I have been following the current email  discussion regarding type3  fuel pump/

check valve functionality.  During this period my 71 squareback, FI, developed a problem

that seems related, but not an exact match.  The problem is that after driving a short

distance, ie, 3-5 miles, then shutting down, I am unable to restart, although I have attempted

to prime the system using multiple key cycles.  I can hear the fuel pump energizing when I

rotate the key, however the engine will not start after multiple cranks.  However, if I allow

the car to remain in place for several hours,  for example during the course of a work day, 8 hours, it will start with one turn of the key.  This has me baffled since I have now been stranded a few times, but luckily only in parking lots.  Once started the car runs, maybe a little rough, but it will

run continuously.  So, Is this a result of a problem with the check valve not keeping fuel in the

line for the next start, or something related to the fuel pump.  The tank is vented normally, and I

have attempted to start, with no luck, with the tank cap removed.  Please advise if possible.

Thanks,  Vic Birtalan,   Goleta, CA.