[T3] Breather cap

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 26 08:49:57 PDT 2017

On 25 Aug 2017 at 21:20, Keith Park wrote:

> Ive always been perplexed why some cars lose prime and others dont,
> neither my old 73 or the 71 have ever had starting problems in that way, im
> just running good ol Mahle hose, no plastic cover over the engine...
> yet some cars do need the primer feature..  whats different with them?

I wish I knew what the difference was. Some cars need it and some don't. It's
clearly not always the check valve, but sometimes it is. I've had cars that had
the problem and others that didn't. Nothing I changed seemed to make any
difference, and I changed hoses and injectors and rebuilt pumps.

In the end, a primer switch is a solution, regardless of the cause, so that's
the solution I recommend.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org