[T3] Surging and lurching! Fastback with FI

jaredkohler at gmail.com jaredkohler at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 12:34:28 PDT 2017

So, I've been driving my 70 Fastback, which has a 71 FI engine, everyday
for the past few weeks after my electric to manual AAR replacement. The car
had been running great and I was very happy with it.

Now, out of the blue, the throttle / engine response upon take off surges
and lurches violently. I've found if I gracefully and gently press down the
gas pedal and release the clutch ever so slowly, the surging and lurching
is gone / minimal. Yet, if I drive it normally (as I've always had) with
some practical speed between clutch and gas pedal, the surging and lurching
begins! Bucking Bronco time!

I pulled the cover to my TVS (Throttle Valve Switch) to check the contacts
and all looks as it should. Clean and making contact. I never changed it's
position to begin with though. The FI TVS harness plug (4 wire) was also
connected tightly.

My next step will be to check the fuel presser using my fuel pressure gauge.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone here had this same type of issue?

Much appreciated,

Jared

Goleta, CA