[T3] 71 squareback fi problem/question

Birtalan, Victor VBirtalan at FTI-NET.COM
Mon Aug 28 09:24:08 PDT 2017

Hello Jim, thanks for the fuel pump information.  I think the tube is metal, but I will check and get back to you.  Thanks,  Vic

From: type3-vwtype3.org <type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org> on behalf of Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:09 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] 71 squareback fi problem/question

On 25 Aug 2017 at 19:58, Birtalan, Victor wrote:

> Hello/all:  feedback on my 71 squareback fuel problem.  the root cause
> of the symptoms that I had described is due to worn brushes in the fuel
> pump.

I've rebuilt a lot of our fuel pumps, and worn out brushes are uncommon. In
my experience, worn brushes (and worn commutators) are always caused by
abrasive dirt in the gas. The dirt gets in there when there's a broken overflow
hose that's not dealt with. Wheel spray throws water and dirt up into the
cracks in that hose. This causes multiple problems, of which the pump motor
is just one.

The vast majority of the 40 year old pump motors that I take apart show only
minor wear to the brushes and commutator. They were very nicely designed.

I make and sell a kit to repair the overflow hoses which are all broken by
now. This keeps water and dirt out of the fuel system and keeps the gas from
leaking out on left turns or when trying to top up the tank. It's cheap,
effective, and lasts longer than the original hoses ever did.

If you're interested in a overflow kit, there was a mid year change in '71.
Look in your "Frunk" and tell me whether the ~3/16" tube running across the
top rear of the frunk is metal or plastic. Then I can tell you the price of the kit
for your car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org