[T3] Breather cap

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 20:45:05 PDT 2017

In a message dated 8/24/2017 8:32:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

In most  cases, this all returns to normal once the starter cools back
down. I
don't know what happened to Bob & Sue's starters, but this is most  likely.
If
they wore out brushes, then they must have been at the tail end  of life
already.
I tore into both of them once we got back home. The first 1 was  totally
used up (brushes were worn beyond their limit, and had gouged the  armature).
Plus the solenoid had failed. It was an unknown used starter that was  given
to me.
The 2nd one was just the solenoid that went kaput. I'm still looking  for a
compatible solenoid for it, to return it to service. So far I've come
across 2 other starters, but neither is a match for the part that does the
"pulling". It was a freebe , so I can't complain too much. ;-)
The thing is, for the cost of a solenoid, I was able to buy a reman
starter, and it worked fine right up until I sold it. She hasn't told me if it
has failed on her yet.  In fact I haven't heard from her in over a year, so
the car must be still working for her.

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS