[T3] Breather cap

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 22:49:26 PDT 2017

In a message dated 8/30/2017 12:37:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

I  thought all the MT starters had interchangable solenoids. Was this
an AT  starter?

Otherwise, the piston that does the pulling is part of the  solenoid.
Just swap them together.

Or describe why this doesn't  work for you. Or send me the part number
on the solenoid and starter that  you're trying to fix.
I thought so too. I've got 1 from a 70 Square sitting here that's got  an
end on it that's just different from everything else I have here. The
solenoid is dead, but the motor does turn over when jumping it at the  braid.

But yes, the 2 starters that quit on us were AT starters. We push  started
the car when we left Hayes KS that next morning, and didn't shut it off
until we got to Marilyn's that afternoon. I looked around in the shop, and
found  a very dirty AT starter out in the shop, tested it and installed it for
the ride  home. At this point I'm not too worried about it, and the car was
sold (3 years  ago). I do like to have a spare one floating around, as I've
still got a couple  of air cooled VW's sitting around here.

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS