[T3] Oil Light

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 1 15:02:46 PDT 2017

On 1 Aug 2017 at 17:45, J. Jonik wrote:

> Hot day, almost 90 degrees.   (Drove '71 Sqbk std.) for half hour; parked for hour and a half in hot sun.
>
>    Then, when started, the oil light stayed on, sort of flickering, but never off even when engine was revved a bit.    Engine oil checked ok...or maybe too high, but streets where tested weren't exactly flat.
>    IF the oil is too high, is that due to gas getting in...and would that cause oil light to stay on flickering?  There was no exhaust smoke.
>   If not, what else could keep the oil light on like that?

Yes, this is scary. The first thing to try to figure out is whether this is real. I'm
afraid you don't want to drive the car at all until you get to the bottom of this.

Make sure the wire to the sender hasn't fallen off and grounded itself. Then
try a different sender. Look for obvious oil leaks leaving puddles on the
ground.

I don't think any amount of gas dilution or high outside temps should cause
this.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org