[T3] Engine Idle very low, once warmed up

Jared Kohler jaredkohler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:27:00 PDT 2017

Hello All!

It's been a while since I've reached out to this list! I enjoy reading almost every email and the information has helped me continue to keep our 1970 Fastback with FI alive as a daily driver.
Now, I have a question for you all...Our Fasty has always had a super low idle issue once she has been driven some and the engine warmed up well. After a drive around town, the idle drops quite low. She'll run, but always seems on the verge of sputtering-out. Again, always when the engine is nice and warmed up. First starts in the mornings or after parked for a spell and a decent drive around town, she acts wonderfully, but continue to drive, engine good and warm/hot, come to a stop sign, idle has dropped super super low. What's happening here?
This issue has just been something we've lived with since as long as we keep the engine RPM up a tad, we can keep cruising around town doing our thing. Doesn't miss-fire, doesn't hesitate, but take you foot out of it and come to an idle and boy, the engine idle is low.
Little History: I installed the engine, which was pulled from a 71 Square with AT. Our Fasty is a MT car. PO had installed a Type 1 upright 1600 in the car because he didn't have the patience to service the original FI ENGINE. I bought the Bentley book and figured out the FI in a couple weekends. Thus, our lovely FI set-up now, yet what have I missed with this idle issue once engine has warmed?? Oil temp vacuum sensor?

Ideas? Thoughts? Past experiences?

Your experience and mechanical savvy is greatly appreciated.

Jared Kohler
Goleta, CA

Sent from my iPhone