[T3] 71 squareback fi problem/question

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 11 21:43:31 PDT 2017

If I had to guess based on what your describe I would check  the cylinder
head temp sensor . It's a long shot yet since the car starts after sitting
and you say runs rough yet runs if the head temp sensor for some odd reason
becomes an open circuit it will not start or run it's also possible that the
connector is not making good contact since it's in a plastic cover so to
speak that turns yellow so you cannot see the connection. Heat can cause it
to loose contact and it's also possible the sensor itself goes open when hot
all though I have not had one do this. You can try when this happens is make
up a 300 ohm resister which is near what it will read when hot and either
end to ground on the engine with a jumper lead and the other to the
connector and see if it fires up then . The only other thing is sometimes a
fuel line kinks or the inside of any fuel line usually near a metal fitting
can lift in the inner wall of the line and become a sort of small flap that
will act like a valve to stop fuel from flowing. If your fuel lines are new
this might not be an issue unless you just changed them and somehow nicked
the inner hose wall.