[T3] The road trip blues

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 23 10:38:39 PDT 2017

 I  wonder if the issue with the blow by is more some issue with the
crankcase venting instead of actual blow by. I bring this up because Daniel
stated in his first post that he has had an issue with the breather plastic
plug coming loose even when he needed to seat it with a mallot and long ago
when they went on a trip in the winter they heard something and found the
cap was missing  if I recall they looked and saw the spring  still in place
then drove back and found the cap , it's been a while so I can't recall if
it was the cap they found.

 My point is I'm not certain on a 69 how the actual venting is done , I
think VW did away with the old road draft tube before 69 and vented from the
breather to the oil bath yet it was a single hose further down on the air
intake neck of the oil bath . I'm sure they have replaced the hose and am
not certain how the oil bath is setup internally since I've never seen one.
He did mention the cap came loose about every 6 months . I'm just wondering
if there is some sort of restriction either in the breather or the venting
from there to the oil bath the plastic cap to me seems to be the first thing
that would let go. It was also at 70 MPH when the crankcase pressure it at a
high point . Depends how one defines blow by and crank case pressure . Blow
by would be past the rings and if the oil rings were an issue they would be
burning oil which Daniel said wasn't an issue and the other rings if worn
would cause other issues which don't match up to what Daniel has said .
Crankcase pressure is just the up/down movement of the rod end of the
pistons creating pressure in the crank case which can be added to if there
was blow by which is always there yet to a very small extent even on a new
engine with well seated rings because of the combinded ring gaps which is
why we always stagger the gaps.