[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 5 16:55:57 PST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: <type3 at vwtype3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

> On 5 Dec 2017 at 13:15, William J wrote:
>
>> When you close the throttle the timing should return to 5 BTDC right away
>> shouldn't it?
>
> In cases like this, it doesn't always. That's because the advance
> increases
> the RPM, which holds the advance up, and the advance being in play keeps
> the idle up. So you've got a vicious circle.
>
> Try lowering the idle speed a bit.

 I tried that and got the same result , the advance still held far to high
and didn't return . Even when I had the idle at it's 950 auto trans set
point the idle would drop right back to 950 yet the timing just stayed
advanced  way past the 7.5 BTDC mark by about an inch .

 I just hope this solves the problem . I can't duplicate engine running and
what the weights were doing on the AF Dist. I could see the rust on both
weight pivot pins and the one with the heavy spring when moved didn't want
to return smooth. Even the edges of the weights where they ride the cam on
the upper shaft had rust and the only lube was on the upper cam wick and the
trigger cam . Both springs if I recall the light one acts before the heavy
one yet both = total mechanical advance.

 I'll post photo's and either send them direct to you or post on samba .