[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Dec 6 16:28:16 PST 2017

I installed the AH dist I rebuilt today . connected the light , set the dist
right where the old one was and it started right up . I let it warm up and
checked the timing without resetting the idle speed and set it to 5 BTDC.
Opened the throttle and it did return to 5 , not in an instant yet within a
second . Then I dropped the idle to 850 and it was a hair below 5 BTDC and
returned the same . I set the idle to 900 .

 An hour later I drove it and the idle was at 800 and in 1st gear I stepped
on it and heard a slight ping . The next stop then idle was back to 900 and
I heard no ping . I tried several times in 1st and second it seemed fine.

 The issue is if it sits when I stopped at a store for about 30 minutes the
idle was back to 850 I stepped on it in 1st not ping yet I thought i head a
ping for an instant when I started it without being in drive.

 Also it has this 50 to 100 RPM up and down you could say hunt that's been
there for some time in park and even though I dropped the idle speed even
before the Dist deal . Sometimes it's steady most times it's not.

 I couldn't drive it far because all the traffic this time of day. It's
better yet not right yet.

 I have no idea why the idle speed changes or how it can be set at 900 then
drop to 800 and or 850 then return to 900. I could see when I had the idle
set to 900 and watched the timing marks it was right on 5 BTDC then a tiny
bit below and followed the RPM rise and fall . The only tach I have is
mounted on the speaker grill top of dash .

 All the idle fluctuation goes away once I unplug the Air intake temp sensor
. Perhaps I have either a vacuum leak that comes and goes or a head temp
sensor that is erratic. Also as you said Jim when I open the throttle and
let it close it takes a second to drop to idle speed. At least the timing
returns to normal much faster yet why it did ping once bugs me . I did get
some where changing the dist .

  I just don't know where to look next , don't know if it's rich or lean .
It always ran fine before 2009 and at that time I checked every thing . I
cleaned the FI grounds and it was better then it started acting up with that
erratic no load miss again. Then the ping deal wondered in weeks later.