[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 7 13:45:32 PST 2017

I had the air temp sensor unplugged and drive it about 1/2 mile no ping ,
got home letting it run I checked the ARR and is was partly open. Then I
drove it one mile round trip no ping and parking it for say 20 minutes drove
home and still running it seemed the ARR was closed at least if there was
any vacuum I could not feel it so I will try a vacuum gauge. I didn't think
to see if the idle dropped back fully letting off the throttle. All this
tells me is with the air temp sensor unplugged there is an across the board
10% increase in richness. My understanding has always been any vacuum leak
will make it run richer because it screws with the vacuum signature which in
turn affects the MPS which is basic. What I don't know is if this is at all
RPM ranges or certain RPM's and load . You have idle vacuum which is high ,
heavy load low and steady speed cruise some point in between.

I tend to think I has a few small vacuum leaks . The reason is the ARR is a
main one yet when it does close even with the air temp sensor plugged in
sometimes it idles fine , they must be vacuum leaks that are there due to
vibration or heat or the erratic miss would always be there. I haven't
changed the runner short hoses in 20 years or the vacuum line to the auto
trans and the runner to head spacer/gaskets I haven't checked to see it the
nuts are tight since I installed them . I did clamp the 4 runner hoses in
2009 when all of this insanity began . I tightened every single FI terminal
out of the plastic plugs as well as all the FI grounds . Last I did the
grounds and the erratic miss was 90% gone the doing nothing it returned.

With the air temp sensor unplugged the erratic miss was gone and it had
better pickup and no matter how hard I pushed it I didn't hear any pinging.
Also at times the idle was 850 then 900 in drive, once warmed up it was
steady @ 900 RPM.

Now with that temp sensor plugged in idle set at 950 as it has been before
the ping and even after if I started it the idle was 950 and within a minute
it would rise to 1500 then drop back down yet it had the erratic miss and at
each stop the idle would be at 900 to 1000 RPM until fully warmed up then it
was steady only i drive with a load at idle . Even though the erratic miss
was there driving it you would never know.

I can hear ticking and did snug up the right EMPI header to heat EXchanger
yet could feel exhaust leaking there. I need to deal with this . Thought I'd
remove the header and wrap some sheet aluminum I have around the exchanger
pipe so the header fits tight then clamp it with the crappy VW mesh doughnut
deal . I tried to find 1 1/2 " regular clamps and non one stocks them. The
exhaust leak allows a popping when I let off the gas after stepping on the
gas and letting off . for some reason I did not hear this today. Sure did
with the air temp sensor connected.