[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sat Dec 9 11:28:10 PST 2017

 I think it's possible and even probable .

 There is just one detail I wanted to add. I just want to stress one point.
I don't recall if I brought this up about when I start the car cold well
before the ping thing . The AAR would be open , the idle would be set at 950
, in a minute the idle would rise to 1500 RPM and once in reverse drop back
down . As soon as I placed it back in park it would hang at 1500 for a
while. And not to dwell on the unplugged air temp sensor . I just drove it
today and last Thursday with the sensor un plugged and it no longer does
this. From what I understand The AAR is only to allow air to bypass the
closed throttle plate and the MPS senses this adding more fuel . It's not
supposed to increase the RPM that much perhaps a bit yet not 550 RPM's
higher than the set base idle . Since it rises so much it in fact advances
the timing which it will because of the RPM increase . What it does now is
start and run at 950 and basically holds that even in drive only with a
short drop when I shift it into drive or reverse and once warm the idle
drops to 850 and seems to remain there in drive then in park rises to 950.
About a year ago it would have the 1500 RPM right away and if I let it idle
it would stay there for a good 15 to 20 minutes then drop to the 950 and
begin the erratic miss.

 I only bring this up not to debate what percentage the air temp sensor
richens the mix only because doing this changes the way it runs so much . I
have read this was an old techs trick on Rennlist I think . On the other end
and only by a few people on Samba I am told to adjust the MPS . My thinking
is not to mess with the MPS I feel it just work as is . It does not leak and
the 2 readings 90 ohm and 350 ohms  are when they should be and it's the
proper one for my E system..

 I do agree with a long drive yet based just on what the sensor does and
it's not just the idle that smooths out it runs better as I drive it. Once I
pulled the Dist that was sticking and installed the AH and timed it it lost
a bit of pickup that came back with the sensor unplugged. I imagine there is
some difference between the two distibutors advanc curve. Yet this did not
fix the erratic miss that remained the same.

 Do I look for a vacuum leak?

 I am just trying to find out why this is. I'd rather run rich than lean for
obvious reasons.