[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 87, Issue 11

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 11 22:43:09 PST 2017

The 73 X engine that came in my 73 had dished pistons and stepped heads as
did the 72 . I could tell the 73 was never rebuilt. I had a real difficult
time getting the cylinders out of the heads . Only one stayed on the case .
I never took it down further it still has the pistons on the rods. I'm
pretty sure case numbers beginning with an X are the latest ones. The 72
case I rebuilt came apart easy and it had dished pistons a well that one is
a U for the first letter.

 Since I didn't buy the 73 new I have no idea if the engine was ever swapped
and it was 12 years old when I bought it.