[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 5 23:40:29 PST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: <type3 at vwtype3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

> On 5 Dec 2017 at 16:41, William J wrote:
>
>> They advance plates are different design yet fit the same . I did this
>> because the Pertronix base plate sits right on top of the braid ground on
>> the AH plate . The AF plate has the screw mount ball clip and the AH has
>> one
>> that snaps on a nub on the bottom of the lower plate and the shorter
>> ground
>> braid .
>
> Over the years, there have been several changes in the design of the
> points plate. The snap one is the latest version, but, in general,
> they are all completely interchangeable. I don't have much experience
> with Pertronix, but there was one here a week ago, with the early
> design points plate. I didn't notice any interference with the ground
> braid, but it's possible that there was some variation in the exact
> spot where the ground braid was welded.

 That's why I used the early design points plate from the AF Dist in the AH
Dist.
One the early plate the ground braid is welded to the long arm where the
plate is screwed down by the cap hold down clip mount then it jumps over the
can arm and is well away from the pertronix base. The late AH plate has a
very short ground braid and does not go over the can arm it's all welded on
each plate so they ground together.

 I was careful to measure from the top of each plate to the top on the Dist
where the cap seats and they were the same .