[T3] 1966 Type 3 Squareback ( non-functioning horn)

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Feb 1 15:31:18 PST 2017

On 1 Feb 2017 at 17:33, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> The way the horn works is it gets constant power from the fuse box via
> a black/yellow wire.  There is a ground wire attached to the horn that
> runs back through the same harness bundle to the area under dash above
> the fuse box, then there´s an inline connector there. After the
> connector, the wire runs up into the steering column with all the
> other turn signal switch wiring.

Really good description of the early horn circuit, Sean.

> NOTE: I´m not sure exactly when they switched it, but at some point
> they made it so the horn only gets power with the key on.  On my ´65,
> the horn gets power all the time, even with the key off.

This makes me wonder if someone has changed something on your '65. I
have no experience with that year, but this surprises me. I'll have
to check my books to see if there's a clue here. I know that by '68
the horn only gets power with the key ON.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org