[T3] Horn and Fuel Filter

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Feb 8 19:19:30 PST 2017

On 8 Feb 2017 at 22:05, J. Jonik wrote:

> 1)  I haven't yet found a functioning spare horn to check if my
> problem is just the horn.  The horn DOES beep, but so quietly it's
> barely audible.  Does that indicate bad horn, or bad wiring, or bad
> ground, or.......?

There are 2 wires at the horn. Remove the brown wire and make a
separate connection between the exposed terminal and ground. If the
horn then sounds normally, the wiring is the problem. If not, the
horn is the problem.

> 2)  Are there any performance symptoms to indicate that it's time to
> replace Fuel Filter?

If the car idles normally but lacks power when accelerating or going
uphill, the filter may be clogged. A clogged filter sometimes also
makes the fuel pump run more noisily. If you're willing to put a
pressure gauge on the fuel line so someone can watch it while you're
driving, the filter is likely to be at fault if they see the pressure
drop significantly under heavy load conditions. You won't see any
change with the car standing still; there's no load then.

> I have used (well-cleaned, e-z-to-blow-through) replacements...and
> only now noticed that the clear white ones have identical diameter
> hose nozzles to accept standard fuel lines, but the dark gray ones
> have two different sizes...one larger than the standard woven fuel
> line size.

Some cars use the different sized ports so they can't be installed
backwards. This design came after Type 3s were designed, so your grey
filters are for different cars (FI Beetles, Volvos, Saabs.) The Bosch
filters for our cars are grey with equal sized inlets and outlets.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org