[T3] Hard Starting

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Feb 19 08:04:12 PST 2017

On 17 Feb 2017 at 20:09, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re/ 71 T-2 Std.   It's been cold out so maybe some starting problems
> happen...but, my battery checks out Good at the Auto Shop.- Once when
> start attempt got weaker and weaker, a neighbor loaned me his Jump
> Start thing and car started right up.- Went home and put battery on
> overnight charge...even though my gravity tester thing showed all
> cells right up to the top.  Started good in the morning...with warm
> battery anyway.- Later that day starting got a little sticky
> again...cranked, cranked, then started. That's when I went to get
> battery checked at an auto store.  Battery good.- Next day...hard to
> start again...but it did.

There could be a drain in the car over time, or it could be that your
charging system isn't up to snuff. Put a voltmeter from ground to a
fuse with the engine running at medium RPM (not idle.) You should get
over 14 V. If not, there's a charging system problem. If it's under
13.5 V you need a new voltage regulator.

Adding the booster battery would seem to indicate that there's a
problem with your battery or its connections. The battery posts
should stick up above the clamps. If they don't, spread the clamps
with a pair of screwdrivers and slip the clamp ALL the way down on
the post. Do NOT tap the clamp down with a hammer.

You're asking about a T-2 in a Type 3 forum, so there may be T-2
specific possibilities that we don't know about.

> Does success of the Jumper Box tell us that the starter's ok?

Maybe, or maybe not.

> Didn't yet put in new clean fuel filter.   Does that have bearing on the case?

Maybe.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org