[T3] General questions...Vintage VW-related...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 11:34:43 PST 2017

In a message dated 2/5/2017 1:36:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

1)   Where did Wing Vent windows go?...and why?   Without them, how to get
little air in the car without blowing hats off people in the back  seat?

Too costly to build
Agreed. You have 2 pieces of glass per side, and all of the seals that go
with it to keep water out. That adds up. Auto makers found that they can use
 larger pieces of glass cheaper than using 2 pieces. Also with aerodynamics
being  what they are, the need for eliminating the wing window became
needed, along  with more integration of AC.

2)  Where did car color go?   Virtually every car today  has no color or as
little color as possible...so as to be invisible on a dark  road.
VOC regulations have trashed paint in the US,  elsewhere?  so its not easy
get all the colors to hold out and too  expensive to have too many choices.

Auto makers found that the need for multiple colored vehicles is low, as
more and more people decided that having 1 of the more popular colors being
offered was cheaper than ordering up a special color just for themselves.
Common  colors are white, silver, black, and gray. I have 3 green cars (in
various  shades) from the 90's and a light gold one from the 2000's.

3)  What's the deal with almost all of today's cars, even small  ones,
having
Four Doors? Whhat car, except a taxi, needs more than  two?   Is it that
with
an older population, back seat riders can't  get in just by pushing the
front
seat(s) forward?   And what about  expense of fixing those 3rd and 4th doors
if hit in an accident?  ...not  to mention expense of electrical doo-dads in
those unnecessary rear  doors?

I have a feeling that too many people have gotten caught on the  seatbelt
and done a faceplant to keep the car a 2 door...  yea its  pricier
to have a 4 door so Im a bit surprised too that there are so  many.
maybe Ill feel differently with another 10 years on my body.  :-)
Keith

I agree with the face planting, and trying to get in and out of a 2 door.
However sometimes having 4 doors you get a slightly larger interior, plus
you  get the conveince of just being able to access the rear seat easier (to
put  stuff in, or fold down, opening up extra space). That said, all of the
cars here  on the property other than the type 3s or the Vega Cosworth have 4
doors. It  makes loading/unloading 3 or more people a lot easier. Yes, I do
like having 4  doors, because I find I use the left rear door (right behind
the driver) quite  often. The 4th door (passenger side rear) however gets
limited use for some  reason (has to get oiled and exercised every now and
then).
You also have to keep in mind that as our population grows older, it's also
 expanding in the waist line and we're also having trouble with our knees,
hips,  and other items that limit mobility that make owning a 4 door a
reality, more so  than having a 2 door. As for all of the "do dads" in the rear
doors, that's just  the auto makers way of making money (they already added
it to the front doors,  and added a power mirror too), while also making it
easier on the owner/driver.  It's nice to be able to roll a rear window down
from the drivers seat, or lock  the entire car by pushing a single button.

Like Dave Hall, I can appreciate the type 3s I have for what they are,
which is a simpler time when things were a lot simpler. Most stuff was
mechanical rather than electrical, and hardly ever failed. Today owning a  car with
a manual transmission almost makes you an outcast. ;-) And driving a  type
3 to work on a daily basis is almost an accident looking for a place to
happen with all of the lifted trucks and SUV's out there sharing the road with
you. Add in all of the people on their cell phones talking and or texting
instead of driving and you're soon taking your life into your own hands, as
nobody's watching the road.
Sorry for the rant.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof