[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jan 9 19:18:43 PST 2017

On 9 Jan 2017 at 22:05, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> It´s the same AAR we used last winter without any issues at all, so I
> wonder why it´s bad this winter. Unless something can go "funny" in
> them? In other words do they loosen up or something?

The thing that goes wrong with them is that the zinc diecast housing
warps over time and seizes the shaft, keeping it from turning. I am
able to find and clear the tight spots and then reset the thermo
sensitive element. It's possible that your housing is continuing to
warp (reasonable) and that I didn't give it enough extra clearance to
provide enough "lifetime." I can do that again and give more
clearance.

In the future, I will throw them in the freezer when I think they are
ready to calibrate, just to make sure that they still have clearance
when cold.

If you're up for this, you can remove the AAR and wiggle the shaft
from the bottom. It should move freely, under the spring force of the
thermo element. Do this COLD, at the temp where it has been acting up
on you.

For a more complete test, note its setting, then remove the
calibration screw so the shaft is completely free. Then see if it's
free to move from stop to stop. Use Loctite when replacing the screw.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org