[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 05:46:57 PST 2017

It certainly sounds like voltage-related problem.  I've heard of quite new
Type 3s running poorly when the Heated Rear window was on.  I doubt that
ever happens now they've mostly gone high-resistance,but the 380W generator
is pretty close to maxed out in those conditions when running at higher
rpms, let alone idling, and the demand from the FI is significant.  Hi
output bulbs or standard 45/45?  I'd not thought of the load of side-lights
etc, but maybe LED bulbs there could help when conditions are that marginal.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club