[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:10:39 PST 2017

> Sounds like tightening the loose screw on the main FI relay may have helped
> with the stalling under heavy electrical load, but the loping idle is
> probably something else.  I don't know the year of the car, but my '72 FI
> was very sensitive to timing, and would 'hunt' (lope?) if not adjusted just
> right, and that included the idle speed.

I feel like the words hunt and lope are getting a little
confused.....at least in my head. In my head, a 'hunt' is what I've
been describing at warm-up idle, where the speed surges very high then
dips down until going away and a 'lope' is the weak/stalling idle I've
been describing. Is that the correct application of the terms?

In any case, for the second consecutive cold start following the
tightening of the relay screw I've had no 'hunt' at all. These are the
first times in over 2 months. Could be a coincidence though.

If I had a timing issue, wouldn't I always have the hunting/loping?
Dwell and timing were set about 1500 miles ago, but I can check them
again.

I had my headlights on for almost all of my AM commute. A few minutes
after I got off the highway, the idle started to dip really low but
didn't lope or stall. I turned off the headlights and after a few
blocks the idle recovered. This seems to point back in the direction
of a voltage issue. FWIW, I can't remember the last time I drove any
significant distance without having to use the headlights. I leave for
work shortly after sunrise and drive home as the sun is setting.
There's pretty much always some traffic, but this is not different
than last winter and I didn't have these issues.