[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:13:43 PST 2017

Ok, another update. No idle lope after cold start following work, but it was a balmy 61* this afternoon. I drove about 40 minutes in local and highway traffic and the idle was normal. Got off the highway after a 10 minute run at 50mph and the warm idle lope showed up. No headlights or any accessories on. The lope stayed with me for the last 10 minutes of my drive and I stalled twice while parallel parking. Did some errands for a bit less than an hour and soon after starting up the motor, I got the warm idle lope. Headlights on at this point. After a few blocks, the idle went back to normal. It stayed normal for another 30 minutes in city traffic. I turned to go into a gas station and as I exited the turn, the lope returned.

So how about this: the warm lope is not headlight related, has nothing to do with the FI power relay screw, and probably nothing to do with the AAR either. I also checked the VR ground screw yesterday and it was tight as ever. Absolutely no relays clicking while loping. I have previous experience with loose connections and they produced bad effects on drivability every time I hit a bump. Nothing like that now. This is ONLY observable at idle…..for now anyway b/c the issue is becoming persistent….yet unpredictable. All I can confirm is that it only happens when the engine is warm.

For clarity, I figured I’d link to a video from last February which contains the closest thing I can find to what I’m describing as the “intermittent warm idle lope”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3phST7MFWE

The major difference is that the current lope sounds even weaker than the one in the video, as if the idle speed is lower. Also, it gets progressively worse….to the point that the generator light comes on and after a while the engine stalls. This video is from when we were testing out a series of MAP sensors to put on our new engine after break in. That lope happened whenever the mixture was too lean as you can see by the AFR gauge. The big difference is that was a constant and the current issue is intermittent.

I tried our AFR gauge out a few weeks ago and it indeed read lean during the lope but nothing astronomical. I didn’t do this to get precidse numbers, but to see if I could observe a trend of lean or rich when loping.

Daniel