[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Tue Jan 17 18:34:22 PST 2017

> I know people drive their FI cars every now and again and even in bursts of many thousands of miles every two years for the Invasion and etc., but I wonder if us driving our car in 4 seasons (with temps ranging from below 0 to over 100) has exposed a limitation in the electrical parts. We’ve put over 21k miles on our car in the last year in 4 season driving if that matters.

My brother, I am an FI guy through and through so I can’t even believe I’m about to say this, but those dual Solex carbs are pretty sweet.  :-)

I don’t think it’s necessarily that you’re exposing any inherent limitation in the electrical parts; it’s just that those electrical parts are really old now.  Those ECUs, think of the effects of 45 years of heat-cycling, temperature extremes, moisture, dust, and vibration…frankly it’s amazing they hold up as well as they do; Bosch must have really over-engineered them.

I think it’s less that you have exposed a limitation in the parts but more that you are butting up against the edge of the envelope in terms of of the useful lifespan of some of the parts.