[T3] 1966 Type 3 Squareback

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 15:19:20 PST 2017

The twin-carb Type 3s can be harder to restart when warm. The automatic chokes take a while to cool down, and so the mixture isn't quite correct.  Try gradually opening the throttle as you crank, and avoid pumping it, which squirts in extra fuel. The rebuilt engine should have thick spacers under the carbs to avoid engine heat boiling off the fuel as it cools. Check they're there.
It sounds like the battery may be a bit marginal, too.
I hope something here will help, but it's not a full list of reasons for warm-starting problems.
Dave
UK VW Type 3 and 4 Club.