[T3] 1966 Type 3 Squareback

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:55:01 PST 2017

This is a question mentioned under this subject but concerning grounding of
the starter.

>> Make sure the portion of the starter housing that contacts >>the
transmission housing when installed is free of paint. >>You need bare metal
to metal contact there, as that is how >>the starter gets its electrical
ground.

>The 2 attaching bolts make a pretty good ground connection >but they need
to be tight.

donrob at yachtsales.com mentioned the use of Carbon-Conductive-Grease.
as ....
>is a good idea to lube the connections with conductive grease >(NOT
Dielectric Grease).

Because our Type 3's seem to have persistent problems with horns that don't
function ... some of, or all of the time ...

might the (judicious) use of Carbon-Conductive Grease inside the hub of the
steering wheel that grounds the horn circuit and maybe at the spade
connectors where the jumper wire goes over the rubber connector at the
bottom of the steering column, be a good idea?

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)