[T3] rear hatch/hinge issue

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Jan 29 13:05:03 PST 2017

Daniel,

Bent hinges happen on Squares. Most of the time I suspect the cause
can be traced back to owners who are not aware of the following 2
sentences in the Owner's Manual that describe how to unlock and open
the rear door: [Unlock the door.] "Then grasp the edge of the door
underneath the lock and lift the door until it is held in the fully
open position by the torsion springs. Try not to let the door fly up
on its own as this may strain the hinges." That's from page 8 of the
'70 manual, but I think all years include that warning.

I have hinge parts if you need them. Inspect the pivot points of the
new parts you get, to make sure they have not worn out, as that
sometimes happens. Lube them before you install them.

You'll need something like the tool shown in the workshop manual. Do
not plan to dive into this with makeshift tooling, as that's a road
to losing a finger, or worse. There's serious stored energy in those
torsion bars. Also, don't try to make do with something shorter;
you're going to need all the leverage you can get.

I can imagine buying a very long screwdriver at Harbor Freight and
then bending it into the proper shape. That would require a good
vise, probably a torch, and maybe an anvil. I've done this job
before, but I don't remember what I used to do it.

If you want me to make a tool, send me the diameter of the torsion
bar rod and the center to center spacing across the loop at the end.
I'll see what I can do. I could then rent you the tool, or sell it to
you, your choice. I have other parts to ship you anyway.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org