[T3] rear hatch/hinge issue

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jan 31 06:28:18 PST 2017

On 30 Jan 2017 at 19:11, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> While we always observe care to not let the hatch fly up when
> opening it, who can say what the owner of the used parts did?

The cars I've worked on that had abused rear hinges all had hinges
which had deformed visibly. They were bent side to side, sort of like
they had just collapsed.

When you take your old hinge out, you'll probably have at least one
hinge pin that is removable. Save it. It can be a lifesaver if one of
the non-removable pins wears out. You can just drill out the smaller
hole that the old pin was in and insert the reusable pin. I had to do
this on my '68 when it was about 6 years old. That hinge squeaked and
there was metal dust in the hinge cover when I removed it. That was
the only car I've ever seen that happen on.

When you're replacing the hinge, you'll probably want to take the
rear door off. While it's off, take the opportunity, if the VW709
works, to take the other hinge off, too, and soak a bit of oil into
each pivot.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org