[T3] I don't know why yet for some reason my 73 T3chargingsystem seems off.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 1 06:41:19 PDT 2017

On 30 Jun 2017 at 19:39, William J wrote:

>  Here's the thing . last July I returned one interstate MT-42 becuase when I
> called interstate I was told by one rep the voltage should be higher than
> the 12.67 standing  volts .

It would also be helpful to understand that the fully charged standing voltage
depends on the folowing:

1) the temperature of the battery

2) the uniformity of the battery temperature (side to side, top to bottom etc.)

3) the exact concentration of the battery acid, so it depends on whether you
have added or not added water to it

4) how long it has been sitting since it was last charged

5) The battery plate chemistry

6) How clean it is, including surface films that may not be visible. (Affects the
rate of self-discharge.)

Plus there's always the accuracy of your voltmeter. Digital voltmeters tend to
make us assume that they are as accurate as the display, but that's not
usually a safe assumption.

There are probably more variables, but each of these things has a small
effect, so that there's no point in worrying about differences of a couple
tenths of a volt. Actual problems in a battery usually result in a change of ~2
V or no change in resting voltage but a huge increase in internal resistance.

>  I do have an issue with over thinking things.

That may be what's happening here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org