[T3] Engine Tin and Such

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 9 05:14:14 PDT 2017

On 9 Jul 2017 at 5:43, Know One wrote:

> I know I will have to alter the tin to get my early tin to fit an engine with newer tin.

I don't know what differences there would be. Just use the tin that works for
the parts you're planning to put on later: FI, single carb, single port single
carb, dual port dual carb. Just make sure to put it ALL on; don't leave
anything out.

> Should the cast aluminum fan housing be painted?

The fan housing was originally natural Alum. People often paint them silver
to cover the corrosion, but natural is fine. They only have cool air in them, so
color is arbitrary.

> Reading one of the manuals, it notes that the bolts holding the fan housing are different lengths.
> Which is which and how long are they?

There are four 6 mm bolts and one 8 mm bolt. The two holes to the side of
the crank are the ones to be careful with, as those threads in the case tend
to get corroded away. I helicoil those holes and use the longest bolts that will
fit. I also Loctite them in. Some people cover the heads with silicone caulk to
keep them from wandering out against the fan if they come loose. They
come loose often on rebuilds, so it's something to be very careful of.

> The bolts I took out have serrations in the threads, and I suspect
> that they should not be re-used as they could cut into the threaded
> holes in the engine case. Am I correct?

I've seen those bolts, but I don't think they are OE. I agree that complete
threads with Loctite, especially here, are a better choice.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org