[T3] Timing Light

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 14 18:20:03 PDT 2017

On 13 Jul 2017 at 20:58, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Here´s a weird one: I went to use my timing light today to verify a
> few things and something strange happened. As always, I hooked the
> light up to the + side of the coil and grounded it where I always do.
> Suddenly, the engine started misfiring every few seconds and I
> couldn´t get any accurate readings.

Does the strobe flash work? (Does it at least flash?)

Most timing lights have just 3 connections to the car: + & - power, and an
inductive clip that goes around the #1 SP wire. Does this have more? Seems
like it would have to, if it measures dwell, and I don't know how it can
measure advance, unless there's some other input. That comes to 5 wires, at
least in my mind.

If you have more than 3 wires, try disconnecting any, other than the 2 power
wires. (And make sure that you're not clipped on the wrong side of the coil.)

You could also try taking your power directly off the battery. I liked the idea
of using a separate battery, but you probably don't have one handy.

You could also try clipping the inductive pickup on a different place, or even,
just as a test, onto a different SP wire.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org