[T3] battery woes... Re: I pulled my Interstate battery july 12th to check the level , found the Interstae MT-42 was leakin

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:29:46 PDT 2017

IMHO, (being a "dyed-in-the-wool stocker") adding an accessory like a
Battery Mat is more of a Band-Aid than a fix.
Sufficient, long-term repair of a leaking battery case may be fraught with
repeated problems, down the road.
1.)  For the cost of a new Group 42 battery, leaking should be a thing of
the past.
2.)  Preparing the "rusted" floor pan, even if it's minor, should be
accomplished ... first.

My choice of fixing the floor pan is POR-15.

We *successfully* repaired the battery compartment of our diesel-powered
motor home with POR-15 on March 13, 2008.  9 years later the 5-step, POR-15
still looks like new.  The battery compartment floor is ~26" X 22"and holds
4 batteries.  The steel compartment floor had "rusted", & about 5" up the 3
sidewalls.

The first order of business was to:

Remove the 4 batteries and all battery hold-down clamps

1.)  Wire brush the floor and sidewalls & vacuum clean
2.)  Brush, roll or spray on a liquid, degreaser Marine Clean, ... rinse a
let dry
3.)  Brush, roll or spray on Prep & Ready to etch the metal, .... rinse and
dry
4.)  Brush, roll or spray on the POR-15 and let dry
5.)  Brush, roll or spray on a good quality Enamel Paint.

I would use POR-15 again, with confidence, that it would last for a long
time.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)