[T3] Coil Resistance and Heat

Jaime Gurrola elpuerco66 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 04:55:42 PDT 2017

I ran a new SVDA Pertronix distributor with Flamethrower I yesterday
with the FT III coil.  The coil got ridiculously hot then the car just
stopped running after about 10 minutes of running.  The coil reached
+250 F degrees.  The rest of the engine was at normal temps. I replaced
the coil with the Bosch Blue coil but haven't been able to re-start it.

I measured the Bosch Blue coil resitance between the + & - terminals and
got 4.5.  I measured the the resitance in my Pertronix Flamethorwer III
coil and it was 1.4 ohms and the box it came in says  .32 ohms.

Have I damaged either the coil or the ignition module or both? Why did
the coil get so hot?  How does a change in resistance affect ignition
system?

Thanks,

Jaime Gurrola