[T3] Previous owner blues

kirk vsnofjohana at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:52:20 PDT 2017

So there was a lot of rattling on the rear end of the 73 squareback . So I figured hey,, fun project, I'll replace all the bushings and shocks on the rear end. As you'll see in the pictures in the link below,the previous owner must have not been able to get the upper shock bolt out on the left side. Looks like they cut a hole to get access and remove the welded nut. Harder to tell from the pictures but they also cut two vertical slots on the forward facing side of the mount, possibly to remove pressures??? This must have left the whole structure compromised which caused the bolts that held the new shock in to ovalize the existing holes and also buckle the inside mating surface between the shock mount and the shock. Looking for ideas to possibly repair this or stabilize it. It's caused the left side to dip down and unweight the right side shock The rattle I had been hearing. One thought I had was to either raise the left side or lower the right side to compensate for the unevenness.

Thanks kirk
https://goo.gl/photos/bNFacnksz8w5Rryk6